Monday, March 30, 2009

Trimming the Wick

I spent my weekend at the boyfriend's house. I show up Saturday around noon. We hit up this Mexican restaurant called the Blue Sombrero- $2.50 margaritas plus FREE TACO BAR from 3-6 every-frickin'-day. The only complaint I have about the place would be the music selection. Someone turned on the "contemporary adult hits" XM station. I like MEXICAN music when I'm at a MEXICAN restaurant. I can even do country (although I have no idea why) but…Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl and Nelly's Thong Song don't work.







But, $2.50 margaritas do work. You could put on the "Christian rock hits from 1983-1986" station and I'd still show up.

Anyway, we stop at Bed, Bath & Beyond after. I notice a Yankee Candle sale. After recently painting (he just bought a house), boyfriend decides to go for the Yankee Candle in Vanilla Caramel to hopefully cover up the "paint smell".

(Note: I don't smell the supposed "paint smell". I'm too busy with my head up my ass, walking around the place and thinking what a grown-up he is for buying a home.)

So, we're watching some TV on Sunday. Oh- when I say "watching TV" I mean the TV is on, he's on his laptop and I'm reading. We're multitaskers by nature, I guess. The aforementioned candle is lit and sitting on the coffee table. Out of nowhere, he gets up and returns with the fingernail clippers. I'm immediately intrigued since he's one of the neatest people I know and would never think of clipping his nails in the living room.

He sits intently in front of the candle and starts clipping the tip of the candle wick.

I said "What are you doing?".

He says "Umm…trimming the wick. You have to trim the wick or the candle burns too fast, Erica".

OK-so I'm not that big of an idiot. I've heard of this mentioned at "candle parties" (but, by that time in the demonstration, I've already been given drink and food - aka NOT LISTENING).

My question is…do people really do this?

My real question is…since when does a man take better care of his candles than me?








1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, candles taking away a smell? No. Adding to it, yes. Coffee. Weird I know, but coffee beans takes away all smells. Umm, at least while you're smelling the coffee beans right? Umm, k ignore me.

And I have never heard of trimming a wick to make the candle burn slower. Course doesn't mean anything, just means I haven't heard it. I do trim it prior to lighting it, but maintenance during the fire? Haven't heard of the one.

Now I'm intrigued... is he on to something?

March 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home