Friday, April 24, 2009

You Don't Know Everything, Robert Frost


It officially feels like spring today. Here in the Midwest the temperature hit a high of 79 degrees. Lovely.

The weather hasn't been this warm in over half a year and, as luck would have it, I have a hair appointment this afternoon. I'd consider rescheduling but its been months - yes, MONTHS - and I'm sick of being reminded what my natural hair color is.

And although the weather is warm and the sun is shining, a certain problem is still on my mind. I don't feel like getting into the specifics (not because its too personal to blog about but because I really just don’t feel like typing that much).

Don't you ever wish you could live two lives? I don't mean have one of "you" go to work and the other sit at home all day (although that would be an advantage). I mean have one of "you" that would sacrifice and change lifestyles to be with a certain someone? The other "you" could maintain your independence, live alone and do as you please.

Its like that Robert Frost poem "The Road Not Taken". What if the path that's "less traveled by" doesn't end all that well for you? What if the road that everyone else took is better? It'd be nice if you could see where both took you. One Erica goes down the well-trodden road…the other Erica takes the less popular one. They could keep in touch through texts and weekly phone calls. Maybe agree to meet for drinks every once in awhile?

So I'm standing here with my two roads in front of me and you know what I want to do? Pitch a tent and hang out at the crossroads for awhile. Maybe open a bar right at this spot so fellow travelers can have a place to forget all the decisions ahead of them.

But Frost is onto something here and eventually you have to pick.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lee Ryan said...

I'm sure the inventors of Quantum Mechanics were thinking the same thing when they advocated the wave nature of particles that allowed them to be in multiple places at the same time...

April 24, 2009 at 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home